12 Sep What are the Marina Requirements to Rent a Boat Slip?
If you’re a new boat owner or are looking to become one, it’s important to consider your boat storage options. After all, you want a safe, convenient place to berth your vessel when you’re not cruising up and down the Southern California coast. A boat slip is a perfect option. This is essentially a rented parking space for your boat, allowing it to stay on or near the water so you don’t have to tow your boat back and forth from the marina. Depending on how often you go boating, this can be a huge time-saver.
So how do you go about choosing the right marina to park your boat? And what are the requirements to rent a boat slip at a Marina in Los Angeles? Find the answers to your questions here. Then, reach out to California Yacht Marina for more information. We proudly helm four of the SoCal region’s best marinas and boat slips available to rent now.
Things to Consider Before Renting a Boat Slip
Not every marina is right for every boater. Here are the factors to consider as you choose where to store your vessel:
- Rental price: While the cost alone shouldn’t determine your choice, it’s certainly worth considering. Shop around to see what fits your budget. California Yacht Marina offers competitively priced boat slip rentals. Our boat slip prices in Los Angeles Harbor start at are $ 14.75 per foot for 30’ to 33’ boats, and $ 18.00 per foot for 40’ to 43’ boats.
- Rental parameters: How long do you anticipate needing a boat slip rental? With California Yacht Marina, you can rent a spot for as long as you need—a day, a season, or the entire year.
- Ease of docking and launching: Look for a marina that provides hassle-free access in and out of the slip. Boaters at California Yacht Marina love the launch ramp nearby each marina for quick and easy access to open water.
- Water depth: Boat propellers must be able to clear the inside end of the slip to avoid damage when steering the vessel in and out of the docking area. If you’re concerned about the water depth at any of our marinas, don’t hesitate to ask for more information.
- Boat size restrictions: Most boat slips have an F- or U-shaped configuration. The layout may necessitate certain boat size limits, so ensure your vessel isn’t too big for the marina you like. At California Yacht Marina, we can accommodate vessels up to 75’ long.
- Marina location: The primary reason to rent a boat slip is to stay close to the action. Two of our marinas (Cabrillo and Wilmington) are ideally located in the San Pedro Bay area near Long Beach. A third marina (Port Royal) also grants easy access to downtown Los Angeles and near Marina Del Rey. Numerous attractions, restaurants, hotels, event spaces, and more surround our central locations, and prevailing winds provide a quick sail to Catalina Island just 20 miles offshore.
- Dock amenities: Choosing a marina with the right amenities makes boating more fun and convenient. Each California Yacht Marina is equipped with five-star amenities in the common areas, including free parking and Wi-Fi, private showers and restrooms, storage lockers, laundry facilities, BBQ areas, freshwater connections, and much more.
Requirements to Rent a Boat Slip
If you think California Yacht Marina has what you’re looking for, we would be happy to have you join us! We require a few simple documents to get your boat slip rental underway. Here’s what you should have on hand when you apply for a boat slip at California Yacht Marina:
- Vessel paperwork: Boats are either registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or the US Coast Guard (USCG). We require a copy of your current DMV registration or USCG documentation, depending on how your boat is registered. Alternatively, you can provide a copy of the bill of sale as proof of ownership.
- Liability insurance: You are required to have adequate boat insurance to rent a boat slip. Please add California Yacht Marina as an additional insured to your policy, which should provide liability coverage of at least $300,000. Note that adding a marina operator to your policy won’t increase your premiums or affect your coverage in any way. It simply keeps us notified of any changes or cancelations you make to your policy.
- Photograph of the vessel: We would like to have a current, color photo of your boat on file with the rest of your documentation.
- Credit check: Be aware that we will run a credit check when you apply to rent a boat slip. We don’t have a specific credit requirement, but good or excellent credit is preferred.
- Survey for older boats: If your vessel is more than 20 years old, we ask that you provide a copy of a survey conducted within the last 12 months. This ensures your boat is in good working order and will not put any surrounding vessels at risk when docked at our marina.
Apply for a Boat Slip at California Yacht Marina
Are you on the hunt for a high-quality boat slip in SoCal? California Yacht Marina is the place for you! We operate three separate marinas—Cabrillo, Wilmington, and Port Royal—each of which has been designed and built to give boaters peace of mind when not using their vessels. With modern onsite amenities and exceptional customer service , you’ll feel safe and comfortable storing your boat with us.
When you’re ready to apply for a boat slip,
please call (310) 732-2252, send us an email, or fill
out our online contact
form. You can also call ahead to schedule a tour of our facilities before
signing to ensure we’re the right fit for your needs.