20 Apr Waterfront Wedding Attire in San Pedro, CA
Dressing for a Wedding at California Yacht Marina
A waterfront wedding offers a view of the breathtaking blue ocean with a saltwater breeze. One thing that many couples love about a beach wedding is they get to choose their own unique beachfront attire. California Yacht Marina in San Pedro offers couples the perfect wedding venue just a few miles away from the Torrance, Redondo Beach, Palos Verdes, Rolling Hills, and Long Beach, areas where they can express themselves in a flowing, beachy way through attire. Guests get to enjoy a weekend filled with waterfront festivities and fun in a casual atmosphere. Whether you choose a beach formal or beach casual wedding, California Yacht Marina offers tips on the ideal approach to dressing for a waterfront wedding in San Pedro, CA, and surrounding areas of Southern California.
Choosing The Wedding Style
Our DIY wedding event space provides a blank canvas where the DYI brides and grooms get to make all the choices. The style of the wedding is determined by your wishes for the day. Yours and your guests’ wedding styles should be based on the following factors:
- The theme of the wedding
- The location of your nuptials
- The degree of formality
Waterfront Wedding Attire Etiquette
The dress code is sometimes stated on the wedding invitation, while other times it simply says, “beach wedding attire.” If you aren’t sure, it’s better to be overdressed for the event. Proper waterfront wedding attire etiquette without directions is semi-formal with breathable summer attire. The main thing to remember is that a wedding isn’t’ your daily beach outing. A big or small wedding is still a special time to celebrate in style.
Beach Formal Wedding Attire Don’ts
Beach formal is a combination of beach attire and formal attire. It doesn’t require dressing too fancy but does require a touch of class. The main thing to remember is the attire you should avoid wearing to a beach formal wedding, including:
- Sandals – Men should go for boat shoes or loafers instead of sandals to boost style while remaining comfortable. Women can wear flats, wedges, or high heels.
- Short-sleeved Shirts – Instead of a casual short-sleeved shirt, go for a cotton or linen button-down shirt.
- Tuxedos – A waterfront wedding doesn’t typically provide the temperature needed to keep you fresh and dry in a tuxedo or suit. Choose seersucker or a vest for a touch of class without the layers.
- Wool – Though staying away from wool seems like a no-brainer, it’s important to note wool is too heavy of material for warm weather.
- Sun Hat – A sun hat is acceptable to wear to the ceremony, but it must be taken off during the nuptials not to block anyone’s view.
- Shorts – A waterfront wedding isn’t an excuse to wear shorts and Hawaiian shirts. Wear light pants and save the shorts for strolling the beach the day after the wedding.
- Ties – The wedding may be beach formal, but this doesn’t mean you need to bust out the tie.
Beach Formal Wedding Attire Dos
A beach formal dress code is the perfect excuse to mix your informal and formal clothing. The safest and best ways to dress for a beach formal wedding reception and ceremony include:
- Bright or Light Colors – It’s fun to play with colors and fabrics for a beach formal wedding. One wedding etiquette rule is that women shouldn’t upstage the bride with white or khaki. Men are usually safe with a base of white, tan, or khaki. Either way, you can mix in pastels with blues, greens, and pinks.
- Details – You can play with the colors of your clothes’ lining or shoes’ threads. If you want to boost the details, throw on bright accessories.
- Formal Romper – A romper is often lightweight and comfortable with a touch of style.
- Breathable Fabrics – Cotton, seersucker, linen, or chambray are safe lightweight, breathable fabrics. They offer a slightly messy look that fits in perfectly at the beach with a light feel.
- Comfortable Shoes – Loafers are comfortable and always stylish, while boat shoes fit the feel of a waterfront wedding. White low-top sneakers provide a crisp look while the canvas gives a breezy vibe.
- Fun With Socks – No matter the style of the wedding, you can have fun with socks. Let your socks show off your personality and break up neutral colors.
Casual Beach Wedding Attire Don’ts
There aren’t many set rules if you’re attending or hosting a casual beach outdoor wedding ceremony and reception in Los Angeles. You can think of a casual LA Waterfront wedding destination like you’re hanging at a luau in Hawaii. Most couples love beach casual weddings because people can be themselves and have a great time in casual attire without formalities. If you’re going to steer away from any attire for a casual beach wedding, we recommend leaving behind:
- Rubber Sandals
- Cotton T-shirts
Casual Beach Wedding Attire Dos
The most important thing to remember about a casual beach waterfront wedding is to keep it simple. Most grooms wear lightweight attire and neutral colors. The couple’s bridal party is often in lighter colors and casual attire. You’ll always feel comfortable at a casual beach wedding in:
- Linen or Cotton Shirt
- Maxi Dress
- Lightweight Skirt
- Light Sports Jacket
- Boat Shoes or Loafers
- Trendy Sandals
- Khaki Shorts
- Polo Shirt
Waterfront Wedding Hair
Humidity, wind, and hair aren’t always the best recipe for a good hair day. The practical advice is to pin long hair back with a clip or bobby pins. If you love the look of loose waves, let them flow in the wind. You can go for optimal comfort with a loose updo that will keep your hair in place and off your neck.
Beachfront Wedding Make-Up
One of the most challenging parts of a beachfront wedding in Los Angeles is your make-up. Heat and humidity can melt your look or cause your make-up to look caked on. It’s important to first and foremost protect your skin with sunscreen, so you don’t have to worry about sunburn, wrinkles, or dark spots. Blend it in before applying your make-up. Throw out the thick foundation and opt for a lightweight primer, waterproof eyeliner and mascara. The trick is to go as light as possible without losing the look you love.
The Perfect Beach Wedding Accessories
We mentioned sun hats aren’t the best accessory for others wanting to view the happy couple. The one accessory you must have at a daytime beach wedding is sunglasses. You can choose whether to go with a classic pair of unique pair of sunglasses. Jewelry should match the theme and feel of the wedding. A beach wedding near Palos Verdes, is an excuse to have fun with a casual beach style without needing to go overboard with accessories and colors.
The Perfect Southern California Wedding Event Venue
If you’re attending a wedding in Long Beach, Torrance, Los Angeles or San Pedro, CA, it’s all about the highest quality services and the best views imaginable. California Yacht Marina provides a beautiful waterfront wedding venue in Southern California. We invite you to tour it to find the perfect event space for your wedding reception and ceremony. The Plaza is located at Cabrillo Marina in the scenic Cabrillo Beach. It can host up to 120 guests seated or 260 standing guests. Guests can enjoy gorgeous sunsets at night and sparkling waters during the day. For over 35 years, we’ve provided breathtaking views for couples and their loved ones.
Schedule a Wedding Venue Tour Today
A waterfront wedding in the South Bay area is the perfect way to view amazing scenery and exchange nuptials. Our event venues offer a flexible design so the groom and bride can easily determine if they want a beach casual or beach formal wedding. Our wedding event planners will work with you to determine the best venue that fits your dreams. Contact us today to learn more!